At the beginning of the 19th century, stagecoaches started operating across the Arlberg. Even innkeeper Johann Josef Fritz was active in the transport industry. In 1818 he was declared Royal Postmaster. The old wayside inn became the post office.
The postilions were responsible for the transport of letters and people. They sported feathers on their outfit and sat on the main horse of the yellow post coaches. The horses were swapped in Stuben. The journey had to be made within the prescribed time. 5 kreuzer, the local currency of the time, were deducted for every wasted 30 minutes.
At the so called ‘post corner’, the carriage drivers cracked their whips as many times as the number of passengers travelling in the coach. This was a signal for the ‘Post’ in Stuben to prepare a corresponding number of meals. In 1884, the last post coach drove through Stuben after the Arlberg rail track was built.
Our guests can relive the atmosphere of the time in our POSTAMT Restaurant. Our menu features traditional Austrian dishes which were on the menu back then. However, our guests can also enjoy international dishes made using regional ingredients.
The à la carte restaurant is open in summer from 11:30 a.m. to 02:00 p.m. and from 06:30 p.m. to 20:30 p.m..
From 02:00 p.m. to 05:30 p.m. you can choose from the small afternoon menu.